Sunday, February 3

My Entry Into Lemuria
I was suddenly awakened by the sound of water...it sounded like it was rushing into the cabin and as I swung my legs around to sit upright and investigate, I was shocked to discover that I was ankle deep in water! It was pitch dark out and I didn't hear anything going on up on deck. I decided I had better get up there though, and investigate!

To my dismay, Sven was face down at the stern and the schooner was wedged between two huge rocks! After gathering my wits about me, I thought I had better see if I could help Sven. On closer examination I soon discovered that he wasn't injured, but passed out...dead drunk! He must have hit the bottle pretty hard that evening and then decided to set sail, knowing that he didn't have to wait for me because I was already on board.

Well, I couldn't worry about that now...we were taking on more water and I had to think quick and come up with some sort of gameplan! My first thought was to get Sven off the boat. I tried and tried to awaken him, to no avail. Finally, I just dragged him...inch by inch...pull, rest, reposition...pull, rest, reposition...after what seemed like eons, I managed to get him into the rocks. I had spotted a flat one that was directly ahead of us and dragged him onto it. Then I rushed back into the schooner...the water was waist deep now but I chanced it and managed to grab my packages and get out of there before it was too late.

Soaking wet and exhausted, I sat by Sven, wondering what to do next. All that crossed my mind was The Old Man In The Sea for some strange reason. I guess because he was old and his schooner was small, although not anything like that of the Old Man. Still, he had that ruddy, unshaven face that brought them both together in my mind.

The sun began to rise and as daylight started to break, I saw that we were on some sort of a little island. It didn't look like much from here but maybe I should take a look around. Sven hadn't moved a muscle still, and I was exhausted, wet and hungry. I picked up my suitcase and climbed through these rocks. They turned out to be a jette. I followed it to the shoreline, then began walking straight back, towards some trees. As I drew closer I spotted a little dirt road. It didn't appear to be well traveled but was at least a start so I hurried towards it.

I hadn't noticed how much time had passed but suddenly became aware of the rumble in my stomach. I hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast the day before and was famished! Glancing up, I saw that the sun was right at high noon! Had I been walking for that long? There must be someone, somewhere around here!

Just as I said this and was rounding the bend, I could smell something...oooohhh....fresh roasted coffee!! Mmmmmm.....I followed my nose....burritos....and was that black beans and rice? The scents were getting stronger. Ahha! Right over the next ridge there appeared a little Adobe type building with a sign above it. It was weathered and barely audible but I could still make it out. "Soul Food Cafe". Right about now, I wouldn't have cared what type of food it was or how fresh the coffee was. All I knew was that I had finally stumbled upon civilization!

Standing in the doorway was a chubby little man with a moustache. He was balding and wore a chef's apron. From the looks of him, it didn't do him much good as he appeared to be wearing as much flour as he worked with! Still, he was a jolly little man and greeted me with a wonderfully friendly "hello!" I tried my best to smile and greet him back in just as friendly a manner. It didn't quite come out the way I wanted, though, and I suddenly found myself bursting into tears. The little man guided me over to a little table in the corner. He handed me his red paisley hankerchief...the bandana type that you'd expect a cowboy to have. Upon closer examination, he was dressed in a flannel shirt and jeans. He spoke with an Italian accent and his kind mannerism became him very well. I calmed myself down once again, thinking about how kind this gentleman was and suddenly Sven came to mind. Oh, goodness!! I must get someone to help me get back to the schooner to help Sven!

The little moustached man came back with a mug of coffee in his hand. As I thanked him, I told him of my mishap. I told him that I needed to get help for Sven. I said that I was bound for a little island called Lemuria, on my way to Ithaca and asked him where I was. In his same calm, happy way, he told me that Sven and his schooner were fine. Don't worry, my dear...you're on Lemuria now and you'll be alright. He turned with a glint in his eye and I was overcome with a strange sense of calmness. Somehow I trusted him and believed that I truly WOULD be alright.

I began thinking about lunch when suddenly, he was back with a wonderful looking burrito and a dish of beans and rice. Not even asking, he poured me more coffee. He said, here you go Sue, eat up and you'll feel better. Astounded, I asked how he knew my name and what I wanted to eat. He just turned around with that same little glint in his eye and smile on his face and said that it was the magic of the land again assuring me that I was in good hands....
Sue