Monday, September 23

Back on the womens side of the house Coni, in the room next to Geraldines awakens to a drug induced state of nothingness. Her eyes and mind focus on nothing. All will has been drained from her because of the establishments need to control her aggressive tendencies. Anger is all that is left within her when the drugs start wearing off and even sorrow has been replaced by fear. Life holds no joy for Coni.

As I head past Conis’ room to look in on the next room my heart is heavy. What have I to give these people? What in the world could convince them that life is worth living. I have to steel myself from taking on their desperation. There has to be a way. After all I have been assigned here as the "Recreational Therapist." A Samaritan Spirit has to accomplish their mission. I was promised a few magic powers I could use if my ideas were valid. I figured this job would be a snap. Just jump in there and get them all in a room and give them some fun activities. They could sing, and I could read them stories. We could string beads and… It was becoming increasingly obvious to me that I can not visualize the chaos I would find myself in trying to lead any group activity.

Sounds of a radio playing country western music can be heard from the kitchen as the CAREGIVER prepares the breakfast. In the room next to Gertrude, Alice has maneuvered herself into her wheelchair and grins at her success.

"I may be 96 but I am not helpless yet", she laments and prepares to head for the kitchen for a cup of coffee. She knew the CAREGIVER would scold once she got to the kitchen but, "Just because I fell one time does not mean I can never do it again. " she mutters as she heads for the doorway. "I need a cup of coffee now not with my meal".

Instead of going straight to the kitchen Alice heads across the hall and pops her head into Olives room calling loudly…"Wake up Olive..It is time for coffee. "

"GO AWAY" Olive groans.

Olive chuckles as she wheels down the hall towards the kitchen.

Hazel immediately comes to her door to check on what is going on in the hall even though she is half dressed. She struggles trying to get into the sleeve of her sweatshirt which is actually the sweatpants. She ducks back into her room before Alice can see her and with a quick glance at the clock she mutters to herself as she struggles with the sweatpants. The Breakfast club has already been on for ten minutes. She threw the sweatpants into the corner and