Sunday, August 25

Hot summery nights in the Christmas holidays
When Nana came to stay
She was a moody woman too
And we were all insensed when she called our city
A village, just to be superior
But the cards would always come out
And we three, two sisters and one brother together
Had all learned the various arts
Euchre, 500, gin rummy, and the mother of them all
Canaster
Nana loved this one and we never worked out why
But looking back, she had the upper hand
She would simply cheat and then claim that she didn't
Many nights were spent in tears with Dad called in
How he managed to adjudicate such a thing is hard to say
I remember the shock of realisation
Your Nana was not supposed to lie and cheat
Only children did that and then got caught
Now I just laugh, that was her and people are complex
And now I am reminded of our last meeting
Nana in intensive care, she couldn't speak
But we wrote notes to each other and she liked
The deep crimson camelias I had brought from my garden
I promised to take her there when she was better
But I think she knew, she wouldn't be coming out again
That was the last time
Nana with camelias
by Pauline Nolan