Sunday, February 3

Day 1 Lemuria

Completely refreshed, I dressed in a shocking pink, boat necked shirt and a pair of brightly flowered pink capri pants. I donned my sandals and was off to The Soul Food Cafe.

When I left my room, however, I decided to first do a little exploring. I walked down the corridor towards a floor to ceiling window where the sun was shining brightly through. Just before the window I discovered a beautiful library! How perfect! It had an exquisite mahogany desk, with big claw feet. You could almost see your face in the desk, it was so highly polished. On closer examination, it was stocked with plenty of linen paper and inks from India! There was even a computer for more ease in writing and editing...a favorite hobby of mine.

The matching chair was a gorgeous Italian red and gold brocade, with vines and grapes carved into the back of it. It also had those big claw feet.

By the window, were two very comfortable rocking chairs where one could sit and read for hours, or sit and watch the ebb and flow of the ocean. I thought I was in heaven!

As I began to leave the room I realized that right across the hall was a room that seemed to almost be a small Art Museum but was set up for an artist....many canvases...palettes...oil based paints...brushes....charcoals...oh, a huge array of different artist supplies of the finest quality! How lovely! I wondered if anyone used it?

Well, I'd better go down for my coffee and a bite to eat and stop dawdling. There was plenty of time for that later.

Phil greeted me at the door. He was such a happy go lucky man. Just seeing him made your heart sing. He brought a smile to your face with his very being. He showed me to a table by the window and handed me a cup of coffee for which I was very grateful. I thanked him and after exchanging a few pleasantries, he left and came back in an instant with a steaming plate of raisin French toast! How did he know I loved that so?!? He poured just the right amount of fine maple syrup over it and had also brought a couple of strips of bacon that were cooked to perfection...just crispy enough. It tasted divine!

After eating, I decided to do a little exploring outside. There seemed to be many little shops and buildings that I didn't remember seeing last night. I must have just been so tired and forlorn that I hadn't noticed. Still, I could swear that they weren't there. This must be more of the magic that Phil had mentioned. I was amazed and filled with wonder!

Down the street a few blocks, right on the corner stood the most beautiful Museum of Natural History! On the outside were beautiful Ionic columns. As I entered, the room was wide open with the most elegant, tall, Corinthian columns, enhanced with The most intricate Triglyphics carved into the tops of them! I could hardly wait to explore the museum further but was anxious to see what else awaited my discovery on this wonderful little island. I took a mental note to return here though, as I walked out through the heavy, handcarved double doors.

Right next door, was a little nook that I would have missed if I blinked! On closer examination, I saw that it was a bookstore. It was sort of dingy but looked fascinating. There were old coins and stamps besides the books and I knew I could spend a long time rummaging through it. There was an entire section of old Bibles! I love looking through them, imagining who they might have belonged to and how much they must have meant to some of their previous owners.

Well, I think I'll take a stroll down to the beach. It wasn't far. The sand was pink and the water an inviting aquamarine....I could hardly wait to get there. I found a palm tree to sit under and opened a little paperback book that I found in the bookstore...just one of those sappy love stories but I enjoyed getting lost in them. I read as a salty breeze wafted through my very being. Yes....heavenly, indeed.
Sue